SANTA ROSA JUNIOR COLLEGE
LATINX FACULTY & STAFF ASSOCIATION
Approved: October 12, 2021
The Latinx Faculty and Staff Association (LFSA) is an educational organization whose purpose is to be an advocate for Latinx issues in higher education, which also includes the educational welfare and advancement of Latinx communities. Our goal is to promote the social, economic, and political mobility in the United States. We strive to create educational agency through the Latinx history, heritage and culture as it relates to education.
ARTICLE I: NAME
The name of the organization is the Latinx Faculty and Staff Association and will be referred to in the remainder of this document as LFSA. The governing body of LFSA is the Executive Board.
ARTICLE II: EXECUTIVE BOARD
The Executive Board of LFSA shall consist of the elected officers and the most recent Past President. The Executive Board members shall meet at least once a month during the academic year, or as deemed necessary by the President(s). The Executive Board creates agendas for and schedules once a semester meeting of the membership.
ARTICLE III: PURPOSE
LFSA serves to increase equitable participation and interaction with college administration, faculty, staff and students in policy making, planning and special purposes in cultural, educational, and social activities supporting the mission of LFSA. The Executive Board shall facilitate a means of communication among and between all the membership of LFSA and the College Community in general.
ARTICLE IV: MEMBERSHIP
Regular Members shall be composed of all Santa Rosa Junior College non-student employees who agree to the mission of LFSA, have applied to be a member of the association and have paid the annual (academic year) membership fee. Regular Members receive shared Association communications, can serve as elected officers, can be present during closed sessions of LFSA, and have full voting rights on action items brought before LFSA.
Collaborative members comply with the requirements for Regular Members, including the submission of the application form (except for payment of the annual membership fee). Employees, students, student employees and retirees may join as collaborative members. Collaborative Members receive shared Association communications. Collaborative Members waive voting, closed session attendance and officer position rights.
ARTICLE V: OFFICERS
The officers of LFSA comprise the Executive Board and shall consist of President(s), Vice President(s), most recent Past President(s), Communications Officer, Events Planning Liaison and Scheduling Officer, Treasurer(s), Scholarships and Alumni Liaison(s), Membership and Public Relations Officer. The term of office shall be two years, commencing October 1 and ending September 30 two years hence. Officer positions may be shared. Officers may serve in the same position for no more than two consecutive terms.
ARTICLE VI: DUTIES OF OFFICERS
• The LFSA President shall preside at all LFSA meetings and shall perform all duties commonly incident to that office.
• The LFSA President is the official spokesperson for LFSA.
• Appoints, assigns and oversees the coordination of the various subcommittees and activities of LFSA.
• Presides over meetings pro tempore in absence of the President.
• Assists the President in their designated duties, including development of meeting agendas.
• Assists in the appointment and monitoring of various subcommittees and activities of LFSA.
• In general, the Vice President shall run for President upon completion of the President’s term.
• Gives advice to LFSA’s President.
• Assists the President and Vice President in their designated duties.
• Ensures minutes of meetings and executive board meetings are recorded (including a record of attendance) and shared with the membership.
• Assists the President and Vice President with Association duties.
• Maintains correspondence with the executive committee and members
5-Events Planning Liaison and Scheduling Officer: • Schedules Executive and All Membership meetings, sends calendar of meetings and sets up meeting location and/or virtual links.
• Deposits all of LFSA’s funds into the appropriate account(s).
• Keeps and maintains adequate and correct accounts of LFSA’s business transactions, receipts, disbursements, earnings and all other matters customarily included in financial statements.
• Provides regular reports at the LFSA meetings.
• Assists the President and Vice-President with Association duties.
7-Scholarships and Alumni Liaison(s): • Fundraise money for student scholarships, leads the scholarship committee and secures funds for student conferences and scholarships.
• Recruits SRJC Latinx alumni to participate in student forums, Latinx Graduation, and student conferences.
8-Membership and Public Relations Officer: • Process membership applications.
• Updates the LFSA webpage, organizes LFSA lecture series.
• Maintains correspondence and communications with LFSA membership.
ARTICLE VII: COMMITTEES
The committees and sub-committees of LFSA shall be formed as needed by the Executive Board with input from the membership.
ARTICLE VIII: MEETINGS
LFSA will hold open meetings at least twice per semester, fall and spring. The President may call special meetings if deemed necessary.
All paid Regular Members of LFSA may vote. Voting may be conducted either electronically or in person at any meeting of LFSA.
Quorum shall consist of 50% +1 of the votes cast by those eligible to vote (Regular Members). Quorum for the Executive Board shall also consist of 50% +1 of the elected officers.
Business of LFSA:
LFSA business may be conducted at any meeting of the general membership or Executive Board. Any business conducted with the Executive Board must be brought to the attention of the LFSA membership.
Requests for official Association actions and endorsements must be proposed in writing to the Executive Board, discussed among regular association members, and voted upon at a subsequent time.
ARTICLE IX: NOMINATIONS AND ELECTIONS
Nominations for officers (President, Vice President, Communications Officer, Scholarship and Alumni Liaison, Membership and Public Relations Secretary, and Treasurer) shall be submitted by members of LFSA during spring semester.
Elections of officers will be conducted electronically. Ballots will be sent to all Regular Members. Electronic ballots will be verified by a minimum of two members of the Executive Board.
ARTICLE X: ATTENDANCE AND PERFORMANCE OF DUTIES
Filling Vacant Positions:
In case a vacancy occurs in the office of President, the Vice President shall succeed to the office and shall fill the remainder of the term. If the Vice President is unable to fill the position, LFSA will elect an interim President from the membership. Other interim vacancies: Vice President, Communications Officer, Events Planning Liaison and Scheduling Officer, Treasurer, Scholarships and Alumni Liaison, Membership and Public Relations Officer shall be filled with appointments made by the President until the general election.
Attendance of Officers:
The membership may remove an officer from office for non-attendance after 3 unexcused absences at LFSA meetings and/or Executive Board.
ARTICLE XI: AMENDMENTS
These Bylaws may be amended by at least 50% +1 vote of the Regular Members. Amendments must be proposed in writing to LFSA and voted upon at a subsequent time.