Friday, October 13, 2023 — 6 PM - 8 PM — Luther Burbank Auditorium
What is "La Carpa"?
In the 1920s and '30s, La Carpa was a popular type of traveling theater in Latin America and the Southwestern United States. It featured specialty acts like burlesque comedy, song, and dance, and was performed inside removable canvas-roofed structures, similar to a circus (Carpa means “tent” in Spanish). La Carpa offered family entertainment, including theater plays, slapstick comedy, music, dance, magic, and occasionally movies. It became a beloved genre among working-class audiences and played a significant role in propelling many performers to excellence, contributing to the Golden Era of Mexican Cinema.
Do you have a talent? We want to see it!
All currently enrolled SRJC students are invited to participate in the Latinx Carpa. Singing, dancing, acting, comedy, magic tricks… we want to see it all! So many of our students are incredibly talented, and we can't wait to show our community just how amazing they are.
If you are interested in participating submit a Performance Registration Form no later than September 29, 2023, at 5pm.
Acts are limited to 3-4 minutes.
This event is part of the Herencia series of events. For more events visit: https://intercultural.santarosa.edu/herencia
- Please read the participation guidelines: Click here.
- All performers will receive a participation gift.
- Priority will be given to SRJC students.
- Alumni, faculty, staff, family, and the public will be able to participate as space allows.
- Open to any talent, encouraged to align with La Carpa theme
- Provide a short statement of how performance will adhere to La Carpa theme.
- One registration form per act - The primary contact person should fill out the form.
- This year, performers will need to submit a casting video of the act.
Make sure your video is no longer than 2 minutes – you don’t have to perform the whole act.
Make sure your video does not contain inappropriate language, images, or sounds.
You can submit a link to a video already on YouTube, Vimeo, or any other social media platform.
- Registration will close on September 15, 2023, at 5pm.
- If using music or other forms of media, required to be sent on the week before the event.
- Acts are limited to 3-4 minutes.
- Commit to participating the day of the event and during rehearsal, the day before the event.
- Volunteers are needed for the event.
- Check-in table
- Backstage support
- Technical assistance
- Volunteers must commit to being present from 6-8 p.m. on the day of rehearsal, October 12.
- Volunteers will be required to watch a small training video.
If you would like to be a volunteer, please contact us:
Phone: (707) 521-7854